Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Alex's Perspective

        As I sit here thinking about the amazing life my dad has blessed our family with over my 32 years, I cannot help but think of how the days are now.  All this due to the effects of Lewy Body Dementia....a disease that is slowly taking away the same abilities that once propelled him to work, give, and give some more, to support his family, and to give his community compassion.  Stories can be told of all the good he has done for us and everyone he has encountered, but my focus is to ensure that, aside from all the setbacks of LBD, we all remember that he is still here.  Most importantaly, he's still my DAD!!

    With a new family and a new job, time becomes an issue to travel to Thomaston.  However, with the great help of my miraculous mama, 2 great sisters, and 2 awesome brothers-in-law, I have peace of mind knowing that help is being offered to my father.  After coming home from work in Miami, Brittany (my wife), Madison (our one year old), and I traveled to Thomaston for a Sunday lunch and visit.  We made our way to Chili's.  While sitting at the table waiting for them to arrive, I look out the window and see "shuffle foot bobby" (offering my assistance in keeping a light heart in spite of the effects of LBD) running in the door.  Still the gentleman he always has been, he is rushing to open the door for his wife.  Showing a worn body and the effects of LBD, he plays with Madison and continually jumps out of his chair to play Madison's "pick up my toys I throw on the floor" game.  Then we retreat to the house for a priceless afternoon talk.  After countless attempts over the past year to visit with Dad, the tireless question of "Will he feel up to it today?" always seems to arise.  But as his only son, I have seen a fight in this champion when I mention the words, "We are coming for a visit."  Now, no matter how he feels, when we come to visit, he perks up.  Even if short-lived at times, these moments are what makes this a memory I am sure to never forget.

     The question that always seems to bug me is the fact that I will never know if Madison will get to know her Papa.  I can only hope she is so blessed, even if LBD may accompany.  As I think about the father I want to be, I cannot help but be taken back to my childhood dream, golf.  The countless hours we spent driving across the country and the concessions he made just to allow me to pursue a dream.  The dreams and values that were instilled in me are still present in his character today.  When problems arise, he is still there to offer his comforting voice.  The difference now is that advice may not be available that day.

      As this disease continues to try to interrupt our daily stride, we must stay steadfast in our faith and count the blessings we have been presented.  As our lives go on, I can only dream that I will continue to learn from my dad's unwaivering committment to never surrender.

No comments:

Post a Comment