Wednesday, August 15, 2012

This is My Dad's Story

A few months ago, confronted with the knowledge that he may be facing Frontotemporal Degeneration/dementia, my 64 year old Dad looked at me and said, “I have a job for you if you can stomach it.  I want you to document this process so you can write a book one day that will help others.”

I have always loved writing.  Writing is cathartic for me.  My dad knows this.  What a blessing to be given this task.

I wasn’t the least bit surprised by Dad’s wish.  He has always been one of the most giving, selfless people I’ve ever known.  Yes, he could be a bear at timesjust ask his former employees!  But under the occasional grizzly bear exterior lies a teddy bear with the biggest heart you ever saw.  For nearly 40 years, Dad owned his own pharmacy.  I can’t even begin to count the lives he touched through his business.  He went back at midnight for sick babies (even of families who weren’t his customers).  He held tickets for people who needed their medicine right away but couldn’t pay at that time.  If the pharmacy was out of a medication, he tracked it down at another pharmacy in town and sent one of us to get it so his customer would get their medication that dayusually within 10-15 minutes.  I had the privilege of working with Dad for the last 6 years of the pharmacy.  I wouldn’t trade those days with him for anything!  

Every December he and I would sit down and discuss who we wanted to bless that Christmas.  Some of our customers had run up quite a drug bill and just couldn’t make ends meet and pay their bill.  Dad and I would together choose someone deserving, and we would give that person a note that said something like, 

“Your account balance is now $0.00.  Your debt has been forgiven just as Jesus has forgiven us our debts.  Merry Christmas!”  There was never a dry eye from the recipient of one of those notes.

You see, that’s the kind of person my Dad is.  He gives wholeheartedly. 
Dad has served on numerous boards and commissions in our community and church.  In 2008-2009 he was even President of the Georgia Pharmacy Association—the highlight of his career and some of the best days of his life.

Sometimes I feel like the “glory days” are over.  I feel sad and hopeless since Dad was diagnosed in June 2012, not with FTD as we first suspected, but with LBD (Lewy Body Disease).  The teddy bear in a grizzly bear body is having his physical and mental health snatched right out from under his feet.  We don’t know how long or short the process will be.  We don’t know how painful it will be.  We don’t know what financial and physical resources will be needed in the future or how soon they will be needed.  What we do know is that a courageous, giving man of God who loves his family and his community is slowly turning into someone it’s hard to recognize on some days.  Most days are good, a few days are great, but those “some days” are devastating to watch.

This is a family effort, and Our first few blog posts will be in jumbled order.  We waited a few months to begin this blog because we needed to collect our thoughts.  We will try to use the next few posts to document Dad’s backstory, his diagnosis, and his recent months.  It is my family’s prayer that this blog will be a blessing to someone.  Whether you are a family member/caregiver, a patient with LBD or other dementia, or just someone who is going through a rough patch in life, it is our prayer that God will use the words He places in our hearts to speak to yours.

This is our Dad's story.  It is our honor to share it with you.

~Ashley

(LBD is a family journey...so each of us will be contributing to the blog at various points and sharing our thoughts, observations, hopes, and fears. My brother (Alex), sister (Kelli), Mom (Judy), Dad, and Aunt Charlotte (Dad's sister) will be the primary contributors.  I will indicate at the end of each post who the author of that post is.  We will also try to provide as much information about LBD as we can as well as research updates and news articles.)

8 comments:

  1. Ashley, As I have told your Mom, our prayers are wtih all of you. Yes,I cried asI read your post, then stopped. I could just hear RB telling me "No Tears" God is good to me. Your description of your dad is right on in every aspect. Yes he is truly a teddy bear and a bigger one that most people know. I count my blessings to have worked and shared with him for so many years. Hugs to all. Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming from a previous employer, the grizzly bear was never too much to handle. I was blessed to see various sides of Mr. Robert and even more blessed to have him in my life. I admired him and looked up to him just as I do now. I am so glad this blog is being made and I'm not at all surprised that it was at his request. Mr. Robert and the rest of the Bowles family has always inspired me and your strength now is nothing short of amazing. I love you all and hope you will let us know of any way we can help. Heather Hall

    ReplyDelete
  3. You all are very brave and strong to be able to journal like this for all to read. I have talked with others recently that are dealing with severe dementia to Alzheimer's disease and it is such a horrible experience for everyone. I pray for all of you and those that will be benefit from your words. God bless. Laury Gagnon Morse

    ReplyDelete
  4. My prayers will be with you and yours' as you all walk this journey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ashley, thank u for this my dad has also been battling LBD we thought for 3 years.. when we officially got a diagnosis.. however the more i research this disease the more i realize the random symptoms were present about 6- 7 years ago the vivid deams the phyiscally lashing out in his sleep etc.. And so much more... i too am journaling my dad's journey thru this... ur blog is a blessing..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a big fan of Robert Bowles and am thankful that he is surrounded by such a loving and supportive family. I could write a glowing tribute to this sweet man; but since this is also an informative forum, I would like to switch to one of Robert's favorite topics: his wife.

    More specifically, his main caregiver. Anyone who has ever done the day-to-day care of a loved one who is losing skills can attest to how difficult that task can be and how stressful it can be to one's immune system. Anyone who know Judy also knows that she has had a lot of her active years robbed from her bc of an ugly case of lupus. (During which her "gift from God" took care of her.)

    Thank God, it is in remission right now. But I am concerned about its rearing its monstrous head if she continues working as hard as she is right now. So, let's all think of ways we can take care of the cargiver. Robert, more than anyone else, would appreciate our doing that.

    Let her know you're coming to sit with Robert one afternoon so she can go out and piddle around Wal-Mart. You couples: The husband can sit with Robert and the wife can take Judy out to lunch. Send her a certificate for a massage or a manicure. Ask her permission for you to pack an overnight bag so you can sleep near Robert and listen out for him so she can slip away for a night of uninterrupted (and thereby restorative) sleep. If you run into her downtown, ask about her even before you ask about Robert (Robert would love you for that). Be aware that she is grieving as she sees the love of her life slip further away on those "some days." Encourage her to cry on your shoulder, to talk about her pain, to reminisce about their years together bringing 3 little ones into the world.Pray for her and love her so she can remain physically and emotionally strong enough to take care of our dear Robert.
    In Christ,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep writing....! Even days that are sad and angry. Or even so joyous you find you don't have time. As the teller of our story, I saw so many, touched by our story. And you will too!!! So keep writing. Love you guys and your dad!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sloan, you are a beautiful writer and your writing about your precious Daddy was such a blessing to me and so many others!

      Delete